French TV crew kidnapped northeast of Kabul

first_img RSF_en December 31, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 French TV crew kidnapped northeast of Kabul Follow the news on Afghanistan News May 3, 2021 Find out more March 11, 2021 Find out more News News Afghanistan : “No just and lasting peace in Afghanistan without guarantees for press freedom” News Organisation RSF asks International Criminal Court to investigate murders of journalists in Afghanistan Reporters Without Borders is “extremely worried” about a TV crew working for the French TV station France 3 that was abducted in the northeastern province of Kapisa on 29 December. The kidnap victims include two French journalists and at least two Afghans. AfghanistanAsia – Pacific Abductions of foreign journalists have become increasingly frequent during the past three years. An Iraqi reporter employed by the London-based Guardian newspaper was kidnapped and then freed earlier this month. A total of nine journalists have been kidnapped by criminal groups or insurgents in Afghanistan this year. to go further This is the first time that French journalists have kidnapped in this fashion in the region since newspaper reporter Florence Aubenas’ abduction in Iraq in January 2005. Help by sharing this information Situation getting more critical for Afghan women journalists, report says The press freedom organisation added: “A degree of restraint must be shown in this case to avoid jeopardising the negotiating attempts that are under way.” “The security situation in Afghanistan, including the Kapisa region, is such that we cannot rule out any hypothesis,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We will have to wait before adopting a position on the fate of the France 3 crew but the Afghan and French authorities need to take immediate action.” Receive email alerts AfghanistanAsia – Pacific June 2, 2021 Find out more The two French journalists – a reporter and a cameraman – and their Afghan crew were working for the France 3 current affairs programme “Pièce à conviction.” There has been no word from them since they were intercepted by gunmen on a road near Omarkhil in Kapisa province on 29 December. They were reportedly using the Afghan journalist Mohamed Reza as a fixer and an Afghan driver.last_img read more