Wydad Fan Dies in Tunisia Under Suspicious Circumstances Stirs Backlash

Rabat – News about the death of a Moroccan man in Tunisia has gone viral on social media, with some football fans and friends of the deceased deeming his death suspicious.Samih Abghor, from Chefchaouen,  traveled to Tunisia to cheer on his football club. Wydad had also traveled to Tunisia to play the second leg of the African Champions League in Rades, Tunisia on May 31.The fan did not, however, return home after the game which raised concerns among his friends and family. Some of his relatives and friends claimed on social media that Tunisian authorities sent a notice to his family to announce his death a few days of his disappearance. Read Also; Esperance de Tunis Fans Attack Wydad Supporters in TunisiaOn Samih’s Facebook friend list, a man called Fouad Ajaha shared a post to extend his condolences and to announce the death of his friend.“My warm condolences to Abghor’s family following the tragic death of my friend Samih in Tunisia in mysterious circumstances  while attending Wydad- Esperance Tunis match.”As family member , Rim Abghor, also shared a post to mourn Samih’s death. Several people also took to Samih’s Facebook page to express their condolences on posts shared on his wall.Local news outlets quoted the deceased’s brother, who said that Samih was stabbed with a knife in the legs on the eve of the match. The sources believe that the Moroccan national did not receive the necessary care following the stabbing which led to a hemorrhage. Samih’s brother also claimed that Tunisian authorities attempted to hide the circumstances of his sibling’s death.Read Also: Morocco and Tunisia Talk Regional Issues Despite Wydad-Est ControversyMorocco World News contacted Samih’s relatives for a comment , but they were unreachable.Samih was not the only Moroccan who experienced assault in Tunisia.  Fans of Tunisia’s Esperance Tunis assaulted and threw stones at a bus carrying Wydad fans upon their arrival in Tunisia to support their club.One of the Wydad fans was injured in the assault from EST supporters..The attacks came amid controversy over refereeing mistakes during the first leg, which took place in Morocco on June 24.Similar refereeing mistakes were made against Wydad during the second leg of the final, which  urged the Wydadi players and the Moroccan football federation to intervene. Wydad Casablanca left the pitch to finish the match when a referee refused to use the assistant video referee in favor of the Moroccan football club. It was later found that the VAR was not operational.Following Morocco’s campaign, the African Football Confederation decided to strip Esperance Tunis of the trophy and medals and will replay the game on neutral ground after the African Cup of Nations (CAN).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *