To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Kena Ukur is the only regent candidate in North Sumatra who has died from COVID-19.Previously, Binjai mayor candidate Lisa Andriani Lubis was exposed to the coronavirus. Lisa is now under self-isolation at home.The General Elections Commission (KPU) reported that 37 prospective candidates in 21 provinces for the upcoming regional elections had tested positive for COVID-19. The number of prospective pairs of candidates registered for the upcoming elections had reached 687.Thw KPU is conducting health verifications on all prospective candidates.The commission reminded political parties, prospective candidates and voters to comply with health protocols during each stage of the elections. (syk)Topics : Kena Ukur, who had served as Karo regent from 2011 to 2016, died at Columbia Asia Hospital in Medan on Sunday morning.Medan Health Agency head Edwin Effendi said Kena Ukur had died as a confirmed COVID-19 patient.At the request of the family, Edwin said, Kena Ukur was buried under strict COVID-19 protocols at a cemetery in Ndokum Siroga village, Simpang Empat district, Sunday morning.Read also: ‘COVID-19 is no laughing matter’, says mayor as more local leaders test positive A regent candidate in Karo regency, North Sumatra, Kena Ukur Karo Jambi Surbakti, 74, died from COVID-19 on the last day of registration for regional elections on Sunday, when his daughter stepped in to replace his candidacy.The Democratic Party’s North Sumatra chapter acting head, Herri Zulkarnain, said the replacement of Kena Ukur had been agreed upon by supporting parties, including the Golkar Party and the National Mandate Party (PAN).“We agreed to replace the late Kena Ukur Karo Jambi with his daughter, Yus Surbakti. Today, we immediately registered her at the KPUD [Regional General Elections Commission],” Herri told The Jakarta Post on Sunday.
Djoko Soegiharto Tjandra, a graft convict and former fugitive in the high-profile Bank Bali corruption case, allegedly planned to bribe officials at the Supreme Court and the Attorney General’s Office (AGO) to help him secure an acquittal in the case.AGO spokesperson Hari Setiyono said the figure was estimated to be around US$10 million.“Djoko, along with prosecutor Pinangki Sirna Malasari and NasDem politician Andi Irfan Jaya, agreed to provide $10 million to be handed to some officials at the Supreme Court and the AGO for securing the acquittal,” Hari said on Thursday as quoted by kompas.com. The AGO had previously accused Pinangki of receiving a $500,000 bribe from Djoko to lobby the Supreme Court to overturn a 2009 verdict that found him guilty of involvement in the 1998 Bank Bali corruption case.In a proposal named “action plan”, Pinangki reportedly asked for $1 million from Djoko in exchange for the prosecutor’s help with the case. Djoko reportedly accepted the offer and paid half of the sum as a down payment. Djoko later canceled the remaining payment after seeing that things had not gone as planned, according to the AGO.Read also: AGO arrests prosecutor Pinangki for alleged corruption in connection with Djoko TjandraPinangki has been named a bribery and money laundering suspect by the AGO for allegedly using the $500,000 bribe to buy a luxury car and pay rent for two apartments in Jakarta, among other purchases. Andi, the NasDem politician, was named a suspect for allegedly serving as a middleman between Pinangki and Djoko.AGO prosecutors reportedly handed Pinangki’s case file over to the Jakarta Corruption Court on Thursday.The AGO previously declared Pinangki guilty of an ethics violation for going on nine international trips to Singapore and Malaysia in 2019, reportedly to meet with Djoko while he was at large.Djoko fled the country in June 2009, a day before the Supreme Court sentenced him to two years in prison and ordered him to pay Rp 546 billion ($37 million) in restitution for his role in the corruption case. He spent more than a decade on the run before being arrested in Malaysia and deported to Indonesia in late July of this year. (vny)Topics :
The Guardian 1 June 2018Family First Comment: “Opposition to assisted suicide – also called assisted dying – is characterised as being the preserve of the religious, stuffy and outdated, like religious opposition to gay marriage and abortion. In reality, some of the loudest voices opposing it are those of people with disabilities – because we have the most to fear.”www.Protect.org.nzI can see no safeguards to prevent people being pressured into ending their lives. What we need is more support to live.Opposition to assisted suicide – also called assisted dying – is characterised as being the preserve of the religious, stuffy and outdated, like religious opposition to gay marriage and abortion. In reality, some of the loudest voices opposing it are those of people with disabilities – because we have the most to fear. A poll done by Scope (a disability charity) showed that the majority of disabled people (64%) were concerned about moves to legalise assisted suicide.Arguments around the legality of suicide and the right to refuse treatment are often conflated with assisted suicide. Suicide is legal, and there is already a right to refuse treatment. People with mental capacity can also create an advance directive to ensure their wish to refuse treatment is respected in future. This leaves people often able to die on their own terms. What assisted dying advocates are requesting is to create a system in which it is legally and morally permissible for people to engage in a deliberate action designed to end someone else’s life.There are two main models for assisted suicide legislation: the American (Oregon), and the European (Belgium and the Netherlands). The laws in Oregon restrict assisted suicide to those who are terminally ill, with less than six months to live. The number of people dying this way has increased from 15 in 1998 to 143 in 2017. There is no obligation to establish whether the petitioner has a treatable mental health problem underlying their desire to die. Nor is there one to ensure that they are not under pressure from another person. It is difficult to even establish life expectancy. Jane Campbell – the former commissioner of the Equality and Human Rights Commission – has spoken about fluctuations in her life expectancy and when it affects eligibility for assisted suicide, the stakes would be high.Some 5% of people in Oregon dying by assisted suicide cited financial pressures as a cause. Meanwhile, the number citing being a “burden on family/friends/caregivers” increased from 13% in 1998 to 55% in 2017. This tallies with Scope’s research that the majority of people with disabilities are concerned that legalising assisted suicide might lead to disabled people choosing it in order not to be a burden on others.Advocates for assisted suicide argue for the existence of an advance directive so people, with dementia for example, could decide to have their life ended were they to lose mental capacity. In the Netherlands, a doctor was cleared after having the family of a woman with dementia hold her down so he could give her the lethal injection. Her refusal of euthanasia in the present day was weighed against her historical desires, and she died.Society’s priority should be to assist us to live, not to die. Provide a free social care system funded by progressive taxation that allows us to be productive, active community members. Increase NHS funding. Cut waiting lists – there are currently 4 million people awaiting treatment. Fund wheelchairs and assistive technology. Root out the disableism that leads two-thirds of people with disabilities to think that we’re seen as a burden on society. Only then can you come back to me and tell me that assisted suicide is no risk to disabled people.I can envisage no safeguards that would prevent people being pressured into ending their lives, by interpersonal, financial or social means. All I see is a system which divides lives, offering suicide prevention to some, and euthanasia to others. When I am low and feel I cannot go on with life as a disabled adult, those around me support me, affirm that my life has meaning, and help me continue to survive. Yes, my suffering is sometimes unbearable, but the faith my loved ones have in me makes me able to bear it. Don’t take that away, by legitimising assisted suicide as the right, and gracious choice.READ MORE: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/01/disabled-people-assisted-dying-safeguards-pressureKeep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.
(Reuters) – The Nigerian federal high court in Lagos has barred the military from deploying around polling stations during March 28 national elections, the lawyer for the parliamentarian who brought the case said on Tuesday.Opposition leader Femi Gbajabiamila had argued that any such deployment would violate the constitution, lawyer Ijeoma Njemanze said, amid opposition fears that soldiers could be used to intimidate voters.The ruling, made on Monday by Justice Ibrahim Buba, does not affect troops already dispatched to northeast Nigeria, where they are needed to battle an Islamist insurgency, she added.The tight election pits President Goodluck Jonathan against former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari. It was meant to take place on Feb. 14, but was delayed by six weeks because the military said it could not guarantee security, especially in the northeast, where Islamists have waged a six-year insurgency.Jonathan is seeking a second elected term, in the closest-fought election since the end of military rule in 1999.If the military deploys despite the court order, the opposition is likely to use that fact to dispute the result should it lose the parliamentary and presidential ballot.The military’s role in the electoral process, including pressing for the vote to be delayed, has alarmed some Nigerians, reminding them of the bad old days of dictatorship, which included the annulment of a 1993 vote by a military government.The case was brought after an outcry over the heavy deployment of troops in southwestern Ekiti and Osun states last year. Reports in the press alleged that soldiers had conspired to intimidate voters and rig a by-election in Ekiti — a charge the military and ruling party declined to deny or confirm.Electoral officials said on Tuesday about 82 percent of Nigerian voters had collected the cards they need to present at polling stations to take part in Saturday’s election, leaving 18 percent of registered voters disenfranchised.After the decision to postpone the vote from February, there has been a concerted push against Boko Haram militants, especially by neighbors Chad and Niger, chasing them out of much of the territory they had previously controlled.There had been fears that millions of Nigerians in areas affected by the insurgency, including a million internal refugees, would be unable to vote.“Wherever it is safe and people have resumed normal life, we will conduct elections,” election commission head Attahiru Jega said. “We’ve also got arrangements to conduct elections for internally displaced persons. We have designated centers … where IDPs will be able to vote.”The commission said about 56.7 million voter cards had been collected by Nigerians. Jega said distribution had now ceased, apart from a handful of cards that had just been produced and would be handed out in the next few days.
In November last year, the city governmenthere donated a total of P4.5 million in financial assistance to seven LGUsdevastated by earthquakes in Mindanao. Mayor Evelio Leonardia. BACOLOD CITY PIO Mayor Evelio Leonardia, LCP nationalpresident, said some 80 city mayors were supposed to attend the meeting to beheld at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila. BACOLOD City – The League of Cities of the Philippines (LCP) hasindefinitely postponed its National Executive Board (NEB) meeting in Manila onWednesday due to the Taal explosion. Leonardia said senators AquilinoPimentel III and Emmanuel Pacquiao have been invited as honored guests,together with Deputy House Speaker Michael Romero. On Tuesday afternoon, the Bacolod mayorhimself called for an emergency meeting with the City Disaster Risk Reductionand Management Council here to discuss Bacolod’s response and assistance to thelocal government units (LGUs) affected by the Taal eruption. Leonardia said the LCP, as a policy,provides a certain amount to affected cities, but some cities like Bacolod canalso donate part of its disaster fund. “With what happened, we thought it wouldnot be appropriate for us to continue with that, so we postponed the meeting,”he said. The donation was unanimously approved bythe City Council, based on the letter-request of the City Disaster RiskReduction and Management Office endorsed by Leonardia. (With areport from PNA/PN)
Three people were hospitalized on Thursday after an early morning crash in Milan.The Ripley County Sheriff’s Office said 19-year-old Dylan Swain, of Aurora, was driving south on County Road 800 near SR 350 when his vehicle entered into the path of oncoming traffic.A second vehicle driven by James Ashcraft, 50, of Milan was traveling westbound on State Road 350. His SUV was struck on the driver’s side door by the vehicle Swain was driving.Ashcraft was transported by ambulance to Dearborn County Hospital. He was later transferred to University of Cincinnati Hospital for his injuries.No word on his current condition.Swain was trapped in his vehicle and had to be extracted. He was sent to Margaret Mary Health, then later to University of Cincinnati Hospital for potential life threatening injuries.Kori Ranshaw, 19, Milan, was a passenger in the vehicle Swain was driving. Ranshaw, who is six months pregnant, had minor injuries and was transported to Margaret Mary Health.“All occupants were wearing seatbels at the time of the crash,” noted Ripley County Sheriff Tom Grills.The crash remains under investigation.
The Greensburg Lady Pirates defeat The Batesville Lady Bulldogs in Varsity & JV Softball.The varsity score was 13-3. The Lady Bulldogs fall to 1-11 overall and 1-6 in The EIAC.Batesville vs. Greensburg Varsity Softball (5-1)The JV score was 14-3. Batesville drops to 0-6 overall and 0-5 in The EIAC.Batesville vs. Greensburg JV Softball (5-1)The Lady Bulldogs travel to Shelbyville to battle The Golden Bears. Varsity 1st Pitch will be at 5:30 PM.Submitted by Batesville Coaches Mike Ploeger and Jody Thomas with Max Preps.
VINTON, Iowa – IMCA Late Models will end their 2014 weekly point season this Sunday, Aug. 31. The national champion, as well as local track and Allstar Performance state champions, will be announced as soon as all race reports from the weekend of Aug. 29-31 are received and bonus points are calculated. Unofficial standings will be calculated after home office staff return from the IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals fueled by Casey’s Sept. 1-6. Promoters have until noon on Monday, Sept. 29 to notify IMCA of any changes that affect their track’s top 15 Late Model standings.The point season for all other IMCA divisions continues through Sunday, Sept. 28.
Madison, IN—A February 2019 investigation in Madison led to the arrest of Kayla S. Lee, 27, of Madison. Troopers from theIndiana State Police Versailles Post conducted the investigation and their expertise resulted in the arrest and subsequent conviction of Lee.“The experience and professionalism of the Indiana State Police is always appreciated, and in this case, it resulted in securing a large amount of methamphetamine. Their hard work continues to improve public safety in Jefferson County,” said Prosecutor David Sutter.During the investigation, Lee told police there was a “fist-sized” amount of methamphetamine under the bed in her bedroom. A search warrant was obtained, and a search of the residence located approximately 60 grams of methamphetamine under the bed.On October 9, Lee entered an open guilty plea to possession of methamphetamine as a Level 3 felony with a cap of nine (9) years. She was sentenced on December 4, 2019, by Judge Donald Mote to the full nine (9) years fully executed in the Indiana Department of Correction.