The political leader of the opposition Movement for Progressive Change (MPC), Mr. Simeon Freeman, says Liberia should be certified Ebola free by the World Health Organization (WHO) before the National Elections Commission (NEC) can conduct the Special Senatorial Elections.Speaking over the weekend in Monrovia, the MPC former standard bearer said it was a shame that the government decided to close schools and other activities because of the Ebola disease and then wants to conduct elections that would put more lives at risk. He stressed that the elections should only be held after WHO has declared Liberia Ebola free.Mr. Freeman, acknowledging that the disease has caused hardship for most Liberians, said he is worried that most children might not be able to get back to school immediately because many of the companies that their parents worked for folded and left the country due to the virus outbreak.“They have no certainty that even when schools open in February or March, paying tuition is going to be possible. They are victims of something they know nothing about and we need to be concerned about that as a country and people and not the holding of elections at this time,” he stated. “We share, care and have never been a country that while experiencing difficulties, we go about celebrating as we are trying to do in holding elections for a few people to be glorified. That is not Liberia and the type of political leadership that Liberia needs,” said Mr. Freeman.The MPC political leader said he would only spend his resources on a Liberia that he knows to have respect for the people.Mr. Freeman said it should be remembered that Liberians are still in tears due to the hardships and thousands of deaths caused by the Ebola virus and holding an election to satisfy a few individuals was a grave concern that needed to be discussed by people who are to benefit from the election. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The Taylor Speedway has scheduled a weekend of make-up races for its previously cancelled Stock Challenge.The raceway’s Mini Stock Challenge, which was originally scheduled to take place on July 16 and 17, has been moved to the upcoming long weekend.- Advertisement -Races will take place on both Saturday July, 30 and Sunday July 31. Saturday’s race will begin at 3 p.m. while Sunday’s will start at 1 p.m.The original races were cancelled due to damage to the track and facility after the massive amounts of rain the Peace has received over the past month.For more information on any of the Taylor Speedway’s upcoming events, please visit its official website.