Kone gets contract extension after scoring hat-trick in English Premier League

first_img Lack of understanding “I am obviously concerned about the lack of understanding in certain periods of the game, with the team, particularly when we got back to 2-2,” Allardyce said. “There was nothing wrong with what we had been doing up to then, apart from we gave a very soft first goal away, which could easily have been avoided. The second goal was a cracker from Kone.” The day’s other game couldn’t match the Goodison Park encounter for goals. Steven Davis and Graziano Pelle scored in the first half as Southampton beat promoted Bournemouth 2-0 in a rare meeting of the south-coast rivals. “We worked hard; they were trying to frustrate us,” Pelle told British broadcaster Sky Sports. “We have to maybe improve some parts when we are two or three up, but we were good in the defensive part.” Southampton coped for the last 10 minutes with 10 men after Victor Wanyama was sent off after being shown a second yellow card. LIVERPOOL, England (AP): Arouna Kone got the match ball and a contract extension. The 31-year-old striker’s hat-trick yesterday powered Everton to their biggest English Premier League win in eight years, routing Sunderland 6-2. “Today was the most complete 90 minutes he has had, and it was a phenomenal 90 minutes because it triggers an extension to his contract,” Everton coach Roberto Martinez said. Kone’s first treble in English football was just reward for the player’s perseverance after a serious knee injury affected the first two years of the Ivorian’s career at Everton, having followed Martinez from Wigan in 2013. “It has been as difficult as you can get,” Martinez said. “It was a career-threatening injury. His attitude, his focus never changed, and he never chose to blame anyone and anything.” Sunderland had pulled level at 2-2 by the 50th minute – through Jermain Defoe’s volley and Steven Fletcher’s header – but Sebastian Coates’ own goal then set Everton back on the path to ending a three-game winless run in the League. Romelu Lukaku netted Everton’s fourth before Kone completed his treble, with two goals adding to his first-half strike. The opener for eighth-place Everton was provided in the 19th minute by Gerard Deulofeu, who went on to provide two assists in a game where the influence of the livewire winger proved decisive. It was Everton’s most emphatic win since routing Sunderland 7-1 in November 2007. The current Sunderland side remains in the relegation zone, having lost two of Sam Allardyce’s three matches in charge.last_img read more

Nelson lands double at Northlands

first_imgEDMONTON, Ontario (CMC):Jamaican Dane Nelson and Barbadian Quincy Welch kept up their early season form by riding braces on the eight-race card at Northlands Park here Saturday.Nelson won race one with favourite Centrefire and also captured the day’s final race with another odds-on bet, Seek the Noblest.Welch, meanwhile, found success in race four with favourite Awe C’mon Sweetie and followed up with 2-1 chance Midnite Poppa in race seven.Nelson leads the jockeys’ standings with eight wins with Welch, a six-time former Northlands champion, one behind on seven.Four-time defending champion, Barbadian Rico Walcott, won just once in five outings on the programme and sits third on four win.VICTORY BY LENGTHSNelson opened his account over six furlongs when he steered four-year-old chestnut gelding Centrefire to victory by 11/4 lengths over the three-year-old and upwards who have never won two races.And though he had to wait until the last race of the day to find the winners’ enclosure again, he held his nerve well to carry four-year-old colt Seek the Noblest to a 51/2 lengths trouncing of the three-year-olds over six furlongs.He duelled through the opening quarter with Welch and 10-1 bet Wild Tactics before drawing off in the stretch to win handily.Welch, a Northlands champion in 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2008, made all the running with three-year-old filly Awe C’mon Sweetie in race four, romping to a 51/2 length win over the three-year-old and upwards maiden fillies and mares over six furlongs.In race seven, over the same distance, he stalked from second with the six-year-old bay Midnite Poppa before reeling in pace-setter Red Red Rose at the top of the stretch and storming to the finish by 41/2 lengths to commandingly dispose of the three-year-old and upwards.last_img read more

Local reservist returns from Iraq tour of duty

first_imgNeither sand storms, nor mortar fire nor random bombings kept 1st Sgt. Larry Montes from getting mail to thousands of soldiers in Iraq.The U.S. Army reservist, who oversaw postal operations at a base north of Baghdad, managed the processing of more than 8 million pounds of inbound mail, 2.5 million pounds of outbound mail and 473,006 pounds of redirected mail in addition to supervising five postal platoons.The base was frequently hit by mortar fire, but convoys that delivered the mail also faced dangers from roadside bombs and gunfire, said Montes, 46.Montes, who returned home and was reunited with his wife and four sons in Pico Rivera right before Christmas, earned the Bronze Star and a Good Conduct Medal.“I was surprised, because I didn’t go there to earn the Bronze Star,” he said. “My whole mission was distributing the mail, because mail is such a morale boost for the troops.”Montes was deployed for the postal mission in September 2004. He left for Iraq in December of that year.Montes enlisted in the Army soon after graduating from El Rancho High School in 1977. He was stationed in Germany from 1978 to 1981.A plumber in civilian life, he remained a reservist. In 1990 he was sent to Saudi Arabia to transport equipment and supplies from the port to the front lines during the Gulf War.There was no e-mail back then, making it tough on the reservist and his young family.“It was hard. We would go two or three weeks without a call or letter,” said his wife, Pat.Montes was again called to duty after 9/11. His job this time was to ensure that truckers carrying ammunition to Army or U.S. Navy bases across the United States made it safely to their destinations.He was called up again in September 2004, this time to serve in Operation Iraqi Freedom.He still has two years left in the Army reserves but hopes to spend the time closer to home.“Adapting back to the military is not hard, but being away from my wife and sons is,” he said. “I just want to spend time with them now, going to movies, out to dinner and playing a lot of golf.” debbie.pfeiffer@sgvn.com(562) 698-0955, Ext. 3028 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more