Moment of Silence held by country leaders for drowned Haitians

first_img#MagneticNewsMedia Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Recommended for you Related Items:#MagneticNewsMedia Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, January 25, 2017 – Cramped conditions and 69 people on board coupled with a treacherous reef and stormy weather led to the capsize of a relatively small wooden sloop, says Police Commissioner, James Smith.  The Governor, His Excellency, Dr. John Freeman offered condolences to the Haitian people and led a moment of Silence for the dearly departed.Haiti was represented in its Consul at a press conference which just wrapped up at the Hilly Ewing Building.  Leaders focused also on the issue of human smuggling, which is universally illegal.    One survivor is in Police custody and it is his information which is giving Police and Border Control insight into how many were on board and when the boat departed Haiti.The boat left Haiti on January 20, 2017 said the Commissioner who also explained that a call to 911 exposed that there were people seen running on the Beach in northwest point early yesterday. There were ten found dead yesterday, another male body discovered by Police this morning and a report of a female body washed ashore at the Amanyara Resort, also this morning.  Police have no idea how many died in the mishap and how many made it to shore and again, with the same appeal echoed by the Governor and Premier, asked for the public to report what they know in the case.Through Haitian Consul, Jacques Adolphe, there is dialogue with Haiti which will see it’s new government officially installed in two weeks.  Consul Adolphe expressed that this issue is important to the Haitian Government.    In recent years Haiti has resisted signing an anticipated Memorandum of Understanding with TCIG, however new Premier Sharlene Robinson promised a stern push to have a tete a tete with the new Haitian regime to turn things around.Deputy Premier, Sean Astwood confirmed that over $1 million was spent on dealing with Haitian landings and interceptions.  Three vessels have made it to shore so far for 2017.  A National Security Council or NSC meeting will delve more deeply into the issues linked to border control, including talk on the coastal radar.Questions or responses to questions on the apparent inadequacy of the coastal radar were handled by the Governor who opted not to expound on so called weaknesses in the system.  HE Dr John Freeman stated flatly that it was not on the public interest to disclose the known information.  Still residents are with eyes wide open and can see the trend of migrants trying to enter Provo more northwest now.    There is a significant reduction in reports of radar aided interceptions.center_img Bahamas Police Commissioner Greenslade gone to UK, appointed as High Commissioner TCI Premier blasts Opposition side for “slop” information, sets it straight in HOA Nearly 30 Haitians caught following illegal landing in Nassau, says Defence Forcelast_img read more

Port of San Diego job fair and economic impact report

first_img KUSI Newsroom, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsCommissioner Rafael Castellanos join Good Morning San Diego to discuss the upcoming job fair for the Tenth Avenue Marine Terminal construction projects and he will also talk about the economic impact report recently released.The event is scheduled for Thursday, March 14, 2019 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. in room 101 at the San Diego Continuing Education Center.According to the Port of San Diego’s economic impact report in 2017, the Port’s overall economic impact on the San Diego County region was $9.4 billion, a 13 percent increase over two years, and a 22 percent increase over four years. There were more than 44,300 jobs on the Port’s waterfront, including shipbuilding and cargo handling, tourism and hospitality jobs. Through a multiplier effect, approximately one in 30 San Diego County jobs were generated by the Port.View the complete 2017 Economic Impact Report by clicking here. March 13, 2019 Posted: March 13, 2019 Port of San Diego job fair and economic impact report KUSI Newsroom Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Man shot in buttocks during altercation outside Pacific Beach bar

first_imgMan shot in buttocks during altercation outside Pacific Beach bar KUSI Newsroom, KUSI Newsroom Posted: April 22, 2019 April 22, 2019 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A 30-year-old man was shot by another man early this morning during an altercation with a group of people outside of a Pacific Beach bar, police said.It happened shortly before 2:40 a.m. outside Open Bar, 4302 Mission Blvd., San Diego police Officer John Buttle said.The 30-year-old man was leaving the bar when he got into an altercation with a group of people outside the bar for unknown reasons and one of the men in the group pulled out a gun and the victim tried to run away, Buttle said.The gunman fired multiple shots at the victim and struck him at least one in the buttocks, the officer said.A friend drove the victim to a hospital, where he was treated for injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening, Buttle said.No detailed descriptions of the gunman were immediately available.Detectives from the San Diego Police Department’s northern division were investigating the shooting. Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Hearst Magazines Taps New Global VP People on the Move

first_imgHere are the rest of this week’s people on the move…Meredith Corp. has promoted Melanie Hansche to deputy editor of Alabama-based Food & Wine, one of the titles it acquired through its merger with Time Inc. Hansche was previously editorial director of Organic Life at Rodale, prior to that company’s acquisition by Hearst Magazines.Concurrently, Food & Wine announced a series of other new editorial hires:Karen Shimizu has been named executive editor. Like Hansche, she joins from Organic Life, where she was deputy editor.Mary-Frances Heck has joined as senior food editor. A seasoned freelance food writer and editor, Heck brings experience from Lucky Peach and Bon Appétit, among others.Winslow Taft, formerly art director at Mental Floss, has joined Food & Wine as creative director.Tori Katherman, formerly senior photo editor at Prevention, has been named photo editor.Finally, Alison Spiegel will join Food & Wine‘s New York office as deputy digital editor. She was previously features editor and senior writer at Tasting Table.Teen Vogue has named Samhita Mukhopadhyay deputy editor, reporting directly to newly minted chief content officer Phillip Picardi. Mukhopadhyay was previously senior editorial director of culture and identities at Mic. Additionally, Ella Cerón has been promoted to deputy editor. Cerón first joined the brand in 2015, and most recently was serving as digital West Coast and evenings editor.Carlos Lamadrid has joined Time Out Digital as managing director of global media sales, reporting directly to Time Out Digital CEO Christine Petersen. He arrives from marketing and advertising firm HLC partners, where he served as president.Bonnier Corp. has officially named Sam White the next editor-in-chief of Marlin magazine. He joined the sportfishing title as senior editor in 2015, and had been serving as interim editor-in-chief since November.Mitch Semel has joined TIME magazine’s video team. His career has spanned high-profile production roles at CBS Interactive, CNN, The Huffington Post, and NBC Universal, among several others. Hearst Magazines has elevated Duncan Chater (pictured) to global VP, Hearst Magazines Digital Media Global, in which capacity he’ll be responsible for marketing and advertising revenues for all of Hearst Magazines’ digital businesses operating outside of the U.S.Chater, a 17-year veteran of Hearst UK’s London office, had been serving as chief brand officer of the company’s UK titles since August. He replaces Tracy Yaverbaun, who is leaving the company after about a year and a half in the role. He’ll report to Hearst Magazines’ New York-based president and marketing and publishing director, Michael Clinton.“Duncan has extensive experience specifically in the Luxury, Fashion, Watches, and Beauty sectors, strong client relationships and a desire to keep moving the business forwards into new areas,” said Clinton in a statement. “Marketers are looking for creative global solutions at scale, and with our portfolio of brands in key markets around the world, we are in a unique position to provide trusted editorial environments and reach consumers in a way that works.”last_img read more

Wilmingtons Latest Legal Notices Week of June 16 2019

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — Below are the latest legal notices related to Wilmington, published during the week of Sunday, June 16, 2019:190819 — Wilmington Planning Board — North Wilmington Estates190820 — Wilmington Planning Board — 250 Ballardvale Street190821 — Wilmington Planning Board — 269 Ballardvale Street190822 — Wilmington Planning Board — 773 Salem Street190833 — Wilmington Board of Appeals — Robson Angelone New House Inv(NOTE: The above public notices is from MassPublicNotices.org.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington’s Latest Legal Notices (Week of June 23, 2019)In “Government”Wilmington’s Latest Legal Notices (Week of August 18, 2019)In “Government”Wilmington’s Latest Legal Notices (Week of August 25, 2019)In “Government”last_img read more

7 Things To Know Before Going To Pride Houston

first_img Listen X Share 00:00 /17:56 center_img Pride HoustonTwo festival goers holding a flag reading, “Born this Way” at the 2016 Houston LGBTQ Pride Celebration.This Saturday, an estimated 700,000 people will celebrate Gay Pride Month in the heart of Houston with the Pride Festival and Parade. Before putting on your rainbow gear, there are several things to know.The History Behind Houston’s Pride CelebrationsIn June of 1977, Houston had its own “Stonewall Movement” when thousands of people surrounded City Hall to protest Anita Bryant, a famous singer who opposed gay rights and worked against the gay community. The very first Pride Parade took place a year later on Westheimer Road in June of 1978, according to Pride Houston. Since then, Pride festivities have been held on the last Saturday in June to commemorate Stonewall and the first parade in Houston. The tradition of the parade beginning after sunset started in 1997 when Annise Parker, a Houston City Council member at the time, arranged for Houston to host the nation’s only nighttime Pride Parade. The Pride Festival was moved to downtown in 2015 to continue the tradition. Though Pride Houston started out as a protest, it has morphed into a celebration. “You know although we are celebrating that day and it’s more of a jubilee, that at the back of your head, at the same time you must be vigilant of what’s going on around you,” Lo Roberts, Pride Houston President, told Houston Matters.The FestivalThe festival begins at 12 pm and ends around 7 pm. Performers include Young M.A and Dorian Electra, among others. Admission is free and open to all ages, though  VIP Tickets can also be purchased. The festival will take place on the intersection of McKinney Street and Smith Street.The ParadeAdmission to the parade is free and open to all ages. No tickets are required, except to access the Parade VIP area. The parade begins at 8 pm and ends around 11 pm. It will start at the intersection of Smith and Lamar, continue down Smith Street until Walker where it will make a right turn, then continue down Walker until Milam Street, then down Milam until they reach Jefferson Street.Pride HoustonThree festival goers at the 2016 Houston Pride Parade.Road Closures– Smith from Walker to McKinney (west curb lane) from 9 am to noon– Smith from Rusk to Lamar (all lanes) from noon to midnight– Smith from Lamar to Dallas (the two east lanes) from noon to 6 pm– Smith from Lamar to Dallas (all lanes) from 6 pm to midnight– Bagby from Walker to Lamar (all lanes) at 6 am (re-opens on Sunday, June 24 at 2 am)– McKinney Exit Ramp at 45 North at 6 am (re-opens on Sunday, June 24 at 2 am)More on road closures can be found, here.  Where to Park Festival goers can park at 1100 Smith Garage for $10 — but go early to ensure a spot! Some other options for downtown parking can be seen below. If you prefer to be dropped off, Uber has partnered with Pride Houston and has designated drop off and pick-up spots.Houston PrideA map of the various parking garages available downtown.What to bring and what not to bringBring a water bottle to stay hydrated and wear shoes you can walk in. Firearms are not allowed at Pride, and organizers have taken measures to ensure the safety of those attending by having Houston Police Department officers throughout the parade and festival, private security forces, metal detection devices and random vehicle searches within the festival.The Pride Houston AppAttendees can also download the Pride app for access to the parade route, festival maps and a list of all the vendors and performers.– / 5 To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Listen to the Houston Matters discussion of the history and legacy of Pride Houston with Harrison Guy, Grand Marshal for the Houston Pride Parade, Lorin “Lo” Roberts, President of Pride Houston, and HPM’s Ernie Manouse, in the audio below:last_img read more