PPP Commissioners slam lack of transparency

first_imgGECOM system– insist publication of nominator lists a statutory obligationThe People’s Progressive Party (PPP) commissioners at the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) are unhappy with the lack of accountability at that entity; and this is especially since there are just 43 days to go before Local Government Elections are held.Those commissioners, in an interview with this publication, made it clear that there are times when requests for information get them nowhere. One problem identified by Commissioner Sase Gunraj is the manner in which meetings are held.“You’ve heard in the media us complaining and saying things recently about the quality of the meetings, the discussions, the timing of the meetings; and thoseThe publication of the nominator lists, according to the commissioners, is a necessitystatements are not very complimentary of GECOM,” he said.“Because the meetings are truncated in terms of time, the discussions, sometimes even though they may be long-winded, do not end in implementable decisions,” Gunraj said. “And generally, at the commission level, it’s as though you have to squeeze blood out of stone to get what is happening.”According to Gunraj, those commissioners perceive the operations at the commission level are running on a need-to-know basis.Elaborating on the way meetings are held, PPP Commissioner Bibi Shadick compared what obtains now to the days of former Chairman Steve Surujbally, who demitted office in 2017.“Statutory meetings are held on Tuesdays and are supposed to start at one o’clock. From the first day, the Chairman announces that he’s not going beyond certain hours. First it was five o’clock. Then it came up to four o’clock. Then, if something is being discussed and the Chairman doesn’t (want to stay), he gets up,” she explained.“This has happened on more than one occasion. The thing about it is the commission under Surujbally was long hours, but at least we didn’t have a chairman that used to get up and walk out. This now is happening,” she declared.Retired Justice James Patterson was appointed GECOM Chairman late last year. The commission would be holding Local Government elections on November 12. Already, much controversy has surrounded the elections, including political parties accusing each other of submitting fraudulent lists on Nomination Day.ListsMeanwhile, Gunraj also addressed concerns about the publication of the candidates and backers’ lists. While Government officials have suggested that this should not have been done at all, Gunraj has insisted that the law makes it necessary.“All that is done for elections are a statutory process. Included in that process is that, upon receipt of the lists by the Returning Officer on Nomination Day within the specified period, they are required by law to post that list in a conspicuous place outside the RO office. That was done,” he said.“In fact, myself and other commissioners looked at this exercise at various RO offices throughout the Coast. I was on the East Coast; I know Commissioner Shadick was on the East Bank. I was also at Critchlow Labour College, where it was attended by a large media contingent (and) in person by the Minister of Communities and the Chairman of GECOM.”Gunraj noted that all those officials had observed the process, and he denied claims that the lists were published because of the PPP Commissioners.At a recent Alliance for Change (AFC) press conference, it was reported that that party’s Campaign Manager, David Patterson, had compared publicising of the lists to opening a can of worms. But according to Gunraj, the transparency it afforded highlighted electoral fraud.“It is an outcome of the viewing of these lists that all these issues have now arisen. People started to complain that they never signed lists. People started to complain that they did sign lists, but were duped into so doing,” he said.“They were told they were signing for better roads or old age pension. Another one I heard was they was listing persons to join a Community Policing Group. All of those are instances of fraud,” Gunraj said, adding that no right thinking person should countenance such things.last_img read more

Anna Nicole goes demure for court

first_imgWASHINGTON – Let it be said that at no time during Tuesday’s U.S. Supreme Court hearing did Anna Nicole Smith run her finger across her chest and, a la her performance at the American Music Awards, ask the nation’s finest legal minds, “Do you like my body?” Neither did the former Playboy Playmate pout, slur or fall asleep. In fact, Smith pulled none of the antics for which she has become notorious as attorneys battled over her right to seek a share of her late husband’s fortune. Instead, Smith dressed in dignified black with sleek black heels, oversize shades and a diamond cross around her neck. She said nothing as she entered the court and little as she left, save for a murmured “Sorry” through pink-frosted lipstick as a reporter tried to ask questions. “I think we had a pretty emotional day,” Smith’s lawyer, Howard K. Stern told the Daily News, putting the kibosh on any suggestion that Smith pause for the cameras. “You’re at the Supreme Court. If you want to see Anna Nicole Smith, I don’t know, watch a porn movie.” The justices, it should be noted, did not gawk at Smith. In fact, they seemed to actually be immersed in the intricacies of Texas probate law in an effort to determine when federal courts may hear claims that involve state probate proceedings. Only Justice Stephen Breyer allowed there might be something juicier to the case. Like, say, the brief marriage of a 26-year-old exotic dancer to an 89-year-old Texas oil tycoon who, upon dying, set off a bitter, decadelong struggle over the estate between widow and unhappy heir. “It’s quite a story,” Breyer said. Smith and J. Howard Marshall III married in 1994. They met three years earlier while Smith was working as a topless dancer in Houston. Marshall had assets estimated at more than $1.6 billion, and his son, E. Pierce Marshall, claims to be the sole heir to the estate. Texas probate courts have ruled in favor of the son, while a federal bankruptcy judge in California ruled in favor of Smith, awarding her $474 million because of claims the younger Marshall “tortiously interfered” with her inheritance with fraud and document-tampering. But another federal judge cut Smith’s award to $88 million. Then an appeals court ruled that Smith was entitled to nothing because federal courts lack jurisdiction in probate disputes. Smith’s lawyer, backed by the Bush administration, argued Tuesday that federal courts do have jurisdiction to consider her claims. The justices, for their part, appeared sympathetic to Smith’s position when G. Eric Brunstad Jr., the lawyer for the son, argued that Smith has no grounds to bring a separate claim in federal court. “That’s just not the way our system works,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg told Brunstad. “I don’t see your logic,” added Justice David Souter. Breyer noted that J. Howard Marshall’s will was forged, that three pages of his living trust document had been altered after his death, and that the son hired private detectives to keep Smith away from her elderly husband’s death bed. “J. Howard Marshall wanted to give her money and was prevented in about 15 ways,” Breyer said. At that, Smith, sitting in the back of the courtroom, wiped her eyes. Souter then summed up Smith’s case. “I just want some money from this guy. That’s all she’s saying,” Souter said. Still, even if the Supreme Court does overturn the appeals court, Smith might not get the money. In a statement after the argument, Pierce Marshall said “a decision to return the case to the lower courts still leaves us with numerous other grounds.” “If necessary, each of those remaining grounds will be pursued vigorously,” he said. Lisa Friedman, (202) 662-8731 lisa.friedman@langnews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant “We just don’t think it’s respectful to the court,” Stern said, shepherding the stripper-turned-reality-TV star to a black SUV where a phalanx of paparazzi descended upon the duo. One camera-wielder even tried to climb into the car as Stern opened the door. For a dry probate issue, the case has drawn extraordinary nationwide interest more for the glitzy and controversial high-profile player involved than for any intricacies of the issue itself. “Wow,” said bystander and D.C. attorney Andrew Adair, who attended Tuesday’s arguments because, he insisted, a friend helped write one of the legal briefs. It certainly wasn’t because he thought he might catch a glimpse of Smith. Really. In fact, Adair said, he felt all the neck-craning inside the chamber among attorneys and tourists was unseemly. last_img read more

Changes To the Offensive Line Could Be Imminent

first_imgLet’s get to the point: the running game has been horrendous this year.Most expected a step forward after an offseason of work, coupled with the hiring of former NFL coach Greg Adkins.4.1 yards per carry ranks No. 84 in the nation in FBS. The number is good, but there have been some glaring issues on the line that require attention.Saturday, for example, highlighted bad play and frankly some laziness.https://twitter.com/crshall/status/647902719282401281“Hassan Ridgeway ’bout to eat.” Heck, I think ANYONE could ‘eat’ if they were facing that. Ridgeway blew the play up before Rudolph was even able to drop back into his progressions. And Lewis was only able to get one hand on him.Paul Lewis has looked bad at times at right guard, where, granted, he is new to the position. It’s been suggested that his backup, Jesse Robinson, could be in the dog house which has allowed Lewis more time on the field. Regardless, when it gets that bad, there will likely be changes made.When coaches review this on film, they may decide to make adjustments either with Lewis’ technique or with personal adjustments. At this point, Robinson or redshirt freshman Lemaefe Galea’i stand to require immediate playing time to see if things can get settled quickly up front. Look for changes to take place as early as Saturday.If you’re looking for the comments section, it has moved to our forum, The Chamber. You can go there to comment and holler about these articles, specifically in these threads. You can register for a free account right here and will need one to comment.If you’re wondering why we decided to do this, we wrote about that here. Thank you and cheers!last_img read more

Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s long-term injury was ‘more severe than revealed’

first_imgPlay Video Share on Messenger Zlatan Ibrahimovic 1:13 Ibrahimovic received a rousing reception. “It was an amazing reaction from fans but I felt it from day one,” he said. “From the first step in the warm-up, with people singing and cheering for you, it’s what keeps you going. This was not a one-man work, it was everyone’s and thanks to them that I am back on field and can play.”Paul Pogba also made his comeback from a hamstring injury and was instrumental in United’s victory. Rafael Benítez’s side took the led through a 14th-minute Dwight Gayle goal before Pogba took over.First he created Antony Martial’s 37th-minute equaliser by driving down the right and crossing for the Frenchman to head home. Then, after Chris Smalling put United ahead just before half-time, Pogba scored United’s third on 54 minutes following a smart Marcus Rashford header. Romelu Lukaku broke a personal seven-game drought on 70 minutes for his 17th of the season as José Mourinho’s team kept the gap to the leaders, Manchester City, to eight points.Of being able to overhaul Pep Guardiola’s side, Ibrahimovic said: “We can chase City. Why is it not a possibility? We are all here because we want to win and we need to because they are first.”On Pogba he said: “I can talk of what Paul brings – big quality. It was like he hasn’t been injured for a month. He brings such big quality, a different quality, and I bring experience and mine. I try to help the guys as much as possible and do what I can.”Marcos Rojo, who sustained a serious knee injury in the same game as Ibrahimovic, also returned to the match-day squad. “This week the manager’s been very happy because he has a full team for the first time this season and as a coach you want those opportunities and alternatives to make changes,” Ibrahimovic said. “We just need to pick and choose. He knows what he is doing even when the number of players are limited because he’s a winner and has been winning every season.” Read more Zlatan Ibrahimovic: my Sweden career is over even if they reach World Cup Share on WhatsApp José Mourinho hails the return of Manchester United talisman Paul Pogba – video Reuse this content Share on Pinterest Share on LinkedIncenter_img Share via Email Share on Twitter Ibrahimovic believes United can win the title and the Champions League. “I think there is a possibility for everything. We were early into it [side’s development] last year and won two trophies and we are stronger this season. We believe we can do it. To win and get the trophies.”Regarding whether he will extend his one-year contract the forward said: “At the moment I am just thankful I can play football again. I don’t know what the future brings but what happens happens. I am at the age where I can choose what I want to do. I don’t sign five- or 10-year deals. I am just happy to be back playing and doing what I am good at.“José said: ‘Do whatever you want. I trust in you and you know what you have to do.’ So I was not worried. The contract is all paperwork and I do the physical work.”Ibrahimovic did not sign on for United again until August. “Even if I had a contract or not, I needed to train. The other’s up to the other people,” he said. “I knew I would stay because I wanted to stay. The numbers have never been an issue. I could’ve signed a deal after two months but didn’t because I am honest with myself. I want to stay because I can perform.” Topics Manchester United news Paul Pogba Share on Facebook Zlatan Ibrahimovic has revealed the career threatening injury he sustained in April was more than the “significant knee ligament damage” that Manchester United characterised it as being at the time.The Swede made his comeback in the 4-1 win against Newcastle United at Old Trafford on Saturday, entering proceedings on 77 minutes as a replacement for Anthony Martial. It was the 36‑year‑old’s first action since sustaining the injury on 20 April playing against Anderlecht in the Europa League.While the problem was considered grave enough to question whether Ibrahimovic would play again, he stated it was actually more dire than previously known. “If people knew the real injury, they would be in shock that I was even playing. It was more than the knee but I will keep it personal – that’s why I choose not to talk of it,” he said.“In my recovery I have not rushed anything; I have been out for six and half months. I have been following protocol and my schedule day by day. The only secret has been working hard. Those close to me know what I have been doing. I was working five, six hours a day.“When it happened I said giving up was not an option. My only focus was on coming back and coming back better. I know it’s my head playing, not my knee; my knee has to follow. With my experience and career I know what I have to do but I feel good. I am very proud of the moment to play again and for everyone around me because I wouldn’t have done it alone. Thanks to the supporters for keeping me motivated, the coach who’s trusted me, the club that believes in me and my family obviously.” José Mourinholast_img read more