Australian officials warn against travel to new coronavirus hotspots

first_imgAustralian officials tried to contain a fresh outbreak of the novel coronavirus on Monday, telling residents in the cluster hotspots to avoid travel outside their suburbs in Melbourne, the country’s second-largest city.Victoria state of which Melbourne is the capital has recorded double digit rises in new COVID-19 infections, accounting for nearly 90% of the 126 cases detected nationally over the past week.”At the moment the recommendation is simply an advisory, a strong advisory, where what we don’t want is people to come from those areas to other parts of Victoria, or interstate,” Australia’s Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy told Australian Broadcasting Corp radio. “If you are coming from interstate and you have family in one of those areas, we would prefer you not to come and visit that area and potentially take the virus back.”The Victorian government has said it would reimpose restrictions on social gatherings after the surge in new cases it says has been caused by family get-togethers attended by people with mild symptoms.Officials have also criticized people who have gone shopping while awaiting COVID-19 test results.New South Wales, Australia’s most populous state, told residents to avoid travelling to hotspots in neighboring Victoria as the winter school holidays approach. Topics :center_img “We’re asking people to consider their trips to Melbourne as community transmission at the moment is higher than what they would like,” NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian told reporters in Sydney.Despite the spike in cases in Victoria, Prime Minister Scott Morrison urged states and territories to continue removing the bulk of social distancing restrictions by the end of July.”We have to ensure that we can run our economy, run our lives, run our communities alongside this virus,” Morrison told reporters in Sydney.Australia had reported nearly 7,500 coronavirus cases and 102 deaths as of Sunday. last_img read more

NBA holds firm as Donald Sterling attempts to transfer Clippers ownership to wife Shelly

first_img“The question is if before June 3, the NBA and the Sterlings can work out an arrangement that sets up a procedure for a voluntary sale so that the NBA puts off its process to force the Sterlings to sell,” said USC law and business professor Michael Chasalow. “Or maybe they still have the meeting, but delay the implementation of a forced sale pending a voluntary sale. Or they could ignore it completely.”Floating the possibility of a sale is a dramatic about-face from the Sterlings’ earlier defiance in the face of near-universal opposition. Donald Sterling — who is currently the only league-approved controlling Clippers owner — hired antitrust lawyer Maxwell Blecher, who then wrote a letter to the NBA denying any wrongdoing and rejecting its $2.5 million fine of his client.Shelly Sterling had previously said through various statements released by her representatives — as well as an interview with ABC’s Barbara Walters — that she intended to fight for her stake in the team regardless of what happened to her husband.She had been named in past housing discrimination suits, but settled those — as her attorney Pierce O’Donnell pointed out — without admission of guilt. Many public figures, including Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti, have nonetheless protested her continued involvement with the Clippers.Trying to sell the team on her terms could be a further attempt to separate the perception that she is intertwined with Donald.“It’s a play for sympathy,” said USC law professor Jody Armour. “Donald Sterling, himself, is a very unsympathetic character to many people, not just on the basis of his words that were recorded and broadcast, but also on the basis of his history that nobody did anything about for a very long time. … His wife, on the other hand, could say, ‘I’m an innocent party here. He has been philandering on me and I am the victim.’ She’s arguing the NBA can’t use the sins of her husband against the wife.”A sale would carry significant capital gains tax implications for the Sterlings, as sports taxation expert Robert Raiola noted in Sports Illustrated last month. Donald Sterling purchased the Clippers in 1981 for $12.5 million, but the franchise would likely fetch over $1 billion today. Federal and state capital gains taxes on the difference would then exceed $300 million.Silver said Tuesday that he would prefer that Donald Sterling sell the team “on a reasonable timetable” over the process of forcing out the 80-year-old.The NBA formally filed charges on Monday to end Sterling’s ownership of the Clippers, giving Donald Sterling five business days — until next Tuesday — to respond. He can also appear at the June 3 hearing to defend himself.On April 29, Silver banned Donald Sterling for life from the league following the release of audio that captured the Clippers owner making disparaging remarks about African-Americans. Embattled Clippers owner Donald Sterling is attempting to turn his stake in the basketball team over to his wife Shelly, who will then negotiate a sale with the NBA.Donald Sterling agreed this week to transfer his half of the Los Angeles franchise to Shelly Sterling, a source confirmed. Shelly Sterling intends to negotiate with the NBA on her terms, the source said. However, league sources say its Board of Governors will not approve Shelly Sterling as a controlling owner.Any potential transfer of ownership must be approved through a vote by league owners. The NBA stated Friday that it will still move forward with a hearing in New York next week that could oust both the Sterlings, and subsequently cede control of the team to commissioner Adam Silver. “We continue to follow the process set forth in the NBA Constitution regarding termination of the current ownership interests in the Los Angeles Clippers and are proceeding toward a hearing on this matter on June 3,” league spokesperson Mike Bass said in a statement.Article 5 of the NBA Constitution states that no membership can be transferred “in whole or in part, directly or indirectly” without league approval.The member in question — in this case, Donald Sterling — must submit a written request to the NBA commissioner, who then takes steps to vet the new prospective member. NBA owners must then approve the transfer with a three-fourths majority vote.The league has argued that, under its constitution, a three-fourths majority vote to remove Donald Sterling would also remove Shelly Sterling.Legal minds see this as a possible turning point in moving closer to a sale.center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

England teams march ahead in European championships

first_imgTeamsMen, captained by Roy Smethurst (Crewe, Cheshire):Ian Attoe (Worplesdon, Surrey)Stephen East (Wyke Ridge, Yorkshire)Trevor Foster (Accriungton & District, Lancashire)Rupert Kellock (Sunningdale, Berkshire)Richard Latham (Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire)Richard Partridge (Wildernesse, Kent) 5 Sep 2018 England teams march ahead in European championships Women, captained by Debbie Richards (Burhill, Surrey).Aileen Greenfield (Pyecombe, Sussex)Sue Spencer (Whittington Heath, Straffordshire)Jackie Foster (Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire)Julie Brown (Trentham, Staffordshire)Cath Rawthore (Sale, Cheshire)Helen Lowe (Scraptoft, Leicestershire) England marched into the match play stages of the European senior team championships, with the men going through as top seeds and the women in fourth place.The men, playing at the Diamond Club in Austria, had only one round to make an impact in qualifying after yesterday’s play was washed out.They made no mistakes today and won the qualifying round by four shots. Their team total, with their best five scores from six counting, was three-over par.British Senior Champion Trevor Foster (pictured) led the way for the team with a score of one-under 71, one behind the individual winners. Ian Attoe, Rupert Kellock and Richard Latham added par scores and Stephen East contributed four-over 76.The top eight teams qualified for the championship knock-out stage and tomorrow England will play Sweden in the quarter finals.The women, competing in Mont du Golf Garni in Belgium, played steadily over their two days of qualifying. Top scorer was Cath Rawthore, who shared third place in the individual table on two-over par.They will also play Sweden in their quarter-final tomorrow. Tags: European, Senior Team Championshiplast_img read more

Nasal strip could clog Chrome’s Triple Crown bid

first_imgKentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes winner California Chrome poses for the cameras outside the stakes barn at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Sunday, May 18, 2014.  (AP Photo/Garry Jones)BALTIMORE (AP) — California Chrome might abandon his Triple Crown bid if New York officials do not allow the colt to wear a nasal strip in the Belmont Stakes.Trainer Art Sherman made no threats about the Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner passing on a chance to become horse racing’s 12th Triple Crown winner, but he suggested it was a possibility.“I’d have to leave it up to the owners,” he said Sunday. “I know they’ll be upset.”Neither the New York State Gaming Commission nor the New York Racing Association stewards has received a request to use nasal strips in the Belmont on June 7.“If a request to use nasal strips is made, the decision on whether to permit them or not will be fully evaluated and determined by the stewards,” Gaming Commission spokesman Lee Park said Sunday.Among the Gaming Commission’s rules governing Belmont Park is one that states: Only equipment specifically approved by the stewards shall be worn or carried by a jockey or a horse in a race.In a post on its Twitter feed, NYRA said: “We operate under the rules set forth by @NYSGamingCommission.”California Chrome has worn a nasal strip during his current six-race winning streak after co-owner Perry Martin wanted to try it. Sherman is based in California and said he wasn’t aware that using one in New York might be a problem. He said he would talk to New York racing officials and the horse’s owners.Some horses, like humans, wear nasal strips to assist breathing. The colt wears the strip only during races, not training.At 1 ½ miles, the Belmont is the longest and most grueling of the three Triple Crown races.“I think it opens up his air passage and gives him that little extra oomph that he needs, especially going a mile and a half,” Sherman said. “Anytime you can have a good air passage, that means a lot for these thoroughbreds.”Sherman said Martin likes to try different products and the co-owner thought a nasal strip might benefit California Chrome.“This guy, Perry Martin, he might not run if they say you can’t run with a nasal strip. He’s very funny about things like that,” the trainer said. “I don’t know why they would ban you from wearing one. We’ll have to cross that bridge when we get there.”Other states allow nasal strips while racing, and even some jockeys wear them.“It’s something nonmedical that can be beneficial to a workout or a race,” California-based trainer Doug O’Neill said by phone. “If you think your horse could use some help with their nostrils, you do it.”Two years ago, O’Neill trained I’ll Have Another to victories in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness with the colt wearing a nasal strip. New York officials told O’Neill that his horse couldn’t wear one in the Belmont. The issue became moot when I’ll Have Another was scratched the day before the race because of a leg injury.“I can’t imagine them being that ignorant that they would do that again,” O’Neill said. “New York has gotten a lot better with common sense. It seems like a more rational place now.”NYRA has several new officials since 2012, including Martin Panza, the former racing secretary at now-closed Betfair Hollywood Park in California who now oversees racing operations at Belmont, Saratoga and Aqueduct.Sherman said California Chrome came out of Saturday’s Preakness in good shape, emptying his feed tub after the race.The colt playfully nibbled on his leather shank outside the barn as his two front legs were washed off Sunday. A worker removed a poultice from each lower front leg, which had been applied under bandages as a precaution to protect the colt’s tendons.The nasal strip could prove insignificant, as did California Chrome’s cough that had no impact on his Preakness run. The colt has a small blister in his throat that caused him to cough last week, triggering rumors that he wouldn’t run at Pimlico.Sherman thinks California Chrome will win the Triple Crown, something no horse has done since Affirmed in 1978.“I have a good feeling about it. I’m really confident,” he said. “They better have their running shoes on. I don’t care how many fresh shooters they have. He’s the real McCoy.”If California Chrome competes, the Belmont Stakes is shaping up as a possible 11-horse race, including two newcomers to the Triple Crown trail: Commissioner, sixth in the Arkansas Derby; and Tonalist, the Peter Pan Stakes winner.Other probables include the second- through fifth-place finishers in the Kentucky Derby: Commanding Curve, Danza, Wicked Strong and Samraat. Intense Holiday, 12th in the Derby, is on the list.Three Preakness runners could return: Ride On Curlin (second), Social Inclusion (third) and Kid Cruz (eighth).last_img read more