New heights reached at end of the ASCENT journey

first_img“More and more people are seeking out wild and beautiful yet fragile landscapes and the challenge of protecting these landscapes from visitor pressures is global” delegates at the ‘ASCENT to Summit’ European Conference in Dungloe were told on Wednesday.This conference which was hosted in the Waterfront Hotel in Dungloe marks the end of the ASCENT project which was set up to find ways to allow visitors to enjoy those landscapes, while still protecting them.Donegal County Council along with a number of regions from across Europe first embarked on this journey back in 2016 to look at sustainable management at seven unique upland sites including Errigal Mountain in Donegal. The Summit of Errigal Mountain which is one of seven unique upland sites considered as part of the EU ASCENT project looking at new ways to conserve, protect and sustain these natural sites without taking from the experience they offerLiam Ward, Director of Service Donegal County Council and Chairperson of the ASCENT Steering Committee, explained that the conference was a culmination of research and exchange of international best practice across the Northern Periphery Area of Europe.He said “Donegal County Council managed the three year project and worked with multi-region European partners whose collective experience created new ways to conserve, protect and sustain these natural sites without taking from the experience they offer”.He also acknowledged the support of the INTERREG VB Northern Periphery and Arctic Programme (2014 – 2020), which allowed for the implementation of innovative measures to better manage and conserve the seven sites of natural beauty for future generations.25 delegates from across the Northern Periphery and Arctic Area of Europe travelled to Dungloe to attend the project’s closing conference on Wednesday last (26th June). European delegates attending the ASCENT to Summit Conference hosted by Donegal County Council in the Waterfront Hotel in Dungloe on Wednesday with Cathaoirleach of Donegal County Council Cllr Nicholas Crossan and Donegal County Council Chief Executive Seamus Neely.Speaking at the conference An Cathaoirleach of Donegal County Council, Cllr Nicholas Crossan explained that “while this marks the end of the ASCENT journey; like all journeys its legacy will continue on the path to sustainable management”.Speaking about the work in Donegal he added “through the commitment of local, regional and national stakeholders, and the community of Dunlewey, in working with Donegal County Council, only then was it possible to find and formulate a solution for one of Ireland’s most important upland sites.”Cathaoirleach of Donegal County Council Cllr Nicholas Crossan launching the ASCENT Conference Report at the ASCENT to Summit European Conference in the Waterfront Hotel in Dungloe on Wednesday.Mr Trygve Sunde Kolderup from Norwegian Scenic Hikes speaking at the ASCENT to Summit European Conference in the Waterfront Hotel in Dungloe on Wednesday.A planning application for Habitat Restoration and Sustainable Access was approved by Donegal County Council on April 24th 2019, which allowed for trialling works to commence across two sites in most need of repair on Donegal’s highest peak.Seven people from Dunlewey and the Sliabh Liag area took part in an upskilling programme on Errigal last week learning more about the highly skilled hand built techniques required for path work ensuring that the necessary skills for upland path repair and maintenance are retained within the local community.Rosita Mahony from Donegal County Council explained that “the ASCENT project demonstrated the value of international partnerships in meeting environmental challenges, finding solutions, encouraging responsible recreation and importantly, empowering local communities to respond to future challenges.” In recognition of its contribution to managing uplands sustainably, the ASCENT project recently received an award for innovation in the Environment sector from the Association of Geographic Information (AGI) in Belfast, Northern Ireland.The conference concluded with Cathaoirleach Cllr Nicholas Crossan and the Deputy Chair of Newry, Mourne and Down District Council, Cllr Terry Andrews officially launching the ASCENT Conference Report, which provides a key resource to better inform the sustainable management in European Uplands and Natural Environments.  The achievements of those who completed the upskilling programme were also formally acknowledged.Brendan O’Donnell from Dunlewey receiving training certificate from Cathaoirleach Cllr. Nicholas Crossan and Andres Arnalds at the ASCENT to Summit European Conference in the Waterfront Hotel in Dungloe on Wednesday.New heights reached at end of the ASCENT journey was last modified: June 29th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:ASCENTErrigallast_img read more

Photos: Ex-49er Jeremy Newberry sells Brentwood estate for $4.25 million

first_imgFormer 49ers star center Jeremy Newberry has sold his 4-acre vineyard and estate in Brentwood, Calif for $4.25 million.Click here if viewing from a mobile device.The sprawling 28,000 square foot estate consists of a personal residence, shop, event venue with grand pavilion, lake with beach, bridal casita and many other features.The home itself is 7,021 square feet with six bedrooms and five baths. It has three fireplaces, a media room, swim-up bar and an eight car garage among many other …last_img

See Cape Town before you die!

first_img12 November 2002That’s the vote from viewers of the popular BBC travel programme “Holiday’. And on the other side of the Atlantic, readers of the biggest travel magazine in the US gave the thumbs-up to four of South Africa’s premier tourist destinations.It’s been a good week for SA tourism “products’. On Sunday night, “Holiday’ placed Cape Town fifth in its rundown of top destinations, “50 Places To See Before You Die’.Cape Town was the only city to be named in the top five, beating Sydney, New York, Venice and Paris – not to mention famed attractions like India’s Taj Mahal, Egypt’s Pyramids and Australia’s Ayers Rock.Over 20 000 BBC viewers named their “dream destination that both surprises and inspires’, with most votes going to the Grand Canyon, followed by Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, Florida’s Walt Disney World, and New Zealand’s South Island.For the BBC’s full report on Cape Town, along with country facts, tourist info and links, and reports on the full range of things to see and do in the city, click here.Conde Nast TravelerIn the same week, on the other side of the Atlantic, some 30 000 readers of the prestigious Conde Nast Traveler (US) voted in the magazine’s Top 100 Readers’ Choice Awards 2002, rating cities, resorts, islands, hotels and cruises according to criteria such as standard of rooms, service, food, location and service – and placed four of South Africa’s leading properties on its Top 25 list.The luxury Singita Private Game Reserve bordering the Kruger National Park scored top honours for the second consecutive year, and was named best resort in Africa and the Middle East, also sharing the World No 1 position as “The Best of the Best 2002′ with a luxury French hotel.Sun International’s five-star Table Bay Hotel in Cape Town was placed fourth, the exclusive Londolozi Game Reserve – also bordering the Kruger Park – was ranked 12th, and the Cape Grace Hotel in Cape Town came in at 24th position.Nor are these the only accolades South African tourism has received of late. In the Conde Nast Traveller UK Readers’ Awards, announced in September, South Africa ranked 10th overall in the world as a preferred travel destination, coming in first place for value for money.And in the same month, South Africa was rated as a preferred tourist destination by the French travel industry, with over 21 000 tour operators and retail agents giving the country the thumbs-up at TOP RESA, the annual travel and tourism trade show held in Deauville, France.The latest official tourism statistics also bear out the success of South Africa’s tourism strategy, confirming the country’s position as one of the best-performing destinations in the world.South African Tourism’s chief executive officer, Cheryl Carolus, described the awards as “well-deserved recognition of the immense commitment, made by all winners, to the continued growth and success of South Africa’s tourism industry, and clearly indicate the wealth of quality, value-for-money experiences that we as a country can offer visitors.’SouthAfrica.info reporterlast_img read more

Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter – August 19, 2010

first_img SharePrint RelatedGroundspeak Weekly Newsletter – January 18, 2012January 18, 2012In “Groundspeak’s Weekly Newsletter”Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter – January 5, 2011January 5, 2011In “Groundspeak’s Weekly Newsletter”10/10/10 – Be Part of a Worldwide Geocaching Record AttemptOctober 6, 2010In “Community” Plan to Go Geocaching on 10-10-10We want to see how many geocachers can go geocaching on a single day! We’ve chosen 10-10-10, since the date represents 10 years of geocaching and 10 years of Groundspeak in 2010. Bring your friends, bring your family, bring your worst enemy (if that’s what it takes) and let’s see if we can beat the previous record of 56,654 accounts logging on April 18, 2010. Even one log counts since we are counting how many accounts log a cache rather than the number of caches logged.Share with your Friends:Morelast_img read more

Weekly Poll: Is a 3D Phone in Your Future?

first_imgThe Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology Related Posts Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement Tags:#mobile#Poll sarah perez But while 3D may be gimmicky, it can be fun, too – especially for gamers. Plus, lets not forget the bragging rights it entitles you to: “Oh your phone runs apps? Well mine runs 3D apps!” That has to count for something, right?So what do you think, 3D or no 3D? Would you buy a 3D smartphone to get access to this new futuristic feature? Let us know in this week’s ReadWriteMobile poll.center_img What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Apple may be considering adding a 3D photo capabilities to a future iPhone, according to this recently uncovered patent application. Of course, Apple patents many things, so you can’t take this as confirmation of a forthcoming iPhone feature. That said, there are some 3D-enabled smartphones arriving on the market ahead of any potential dual-camera equipped iPhone. Most notably, the HTC EVO 3D on Sprint and the LG Optimus 3D, now known as the AT&T Thrill 4G.But for all the sizzle that a 3D smartphone can deliver, is this something consumers actually want? Do you want one?These early 3D phones are impressive, considering how few years have passed between the flip-to-open clamshell devices and the dual-core, 1+ GHz, high-res, app-running modern marvels we have today. But experience-wise, 3D still has a way to go before it’s an ideal interaction on a small screen.Viewing angles are narrow – you have to hold the phone just right in order to enjoy the 3D effects – so forget crowding around the smartphone to share a 3D video with friends. It’s a one-person show for now. There’s also a general lack of commercial content in 3D, although that may change in time. And then there are the headaches. Image credits: HTC; PCMaglast_img read more

Meghalaya mine mishap: No change in water level

first_imgThe multi-agency operations to rescue the miners in Meghalaya failed to make any headway on Thursday, with efforts to pump the water out of the mine not yielding any result. The divers of the Navy and the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) were not able to resume the search operation for the 15 trapped miners as they could not go inside due to the high water level. Asked if the divers would take another chance later in the day, operation spokesperson R Susngi told PTI that they would wait, but there was a remote chance of the water level reducing so soon. The 15 miners remain trapped in the 370-foot-deep illegal rat-hole coal mine in Lumthari village of East Jaintia Hills district since December 13 after water from a nearby river gushed in. The operation to rescue them entered the 22nd day on Thursday. Fire service personnel from Odisha resumed work at 10 am and it was found that the water level has risen again, a day after full-day pumping resulted in it receding by 16 inches, Mr. Susngi said. One more pump will be put to use at the mine on Thursday and another would will be installed at an abandoned mine, about 100 metres away, he said. Meanwhile, the high-powered submersible pump from Coal India is yet to begin work, three days after it arrived at the site. Preparation is still going on to get the pump operational, Mr. Susngi said. The spokesperson had said divers would resume operation once the water level at the main shaft decreases to about 100 feet from its current level of over 160 feet. Authorities said there were at least 90 abandoned mine shafts in the area and they were full of water. Rescuers believe that these nearby mines might be interconnected and draining out water in these mines could help in reducing the water level in the main shaft.last_img read more

Rookie France Ronquillo gives FEU lift in Final Four

first_imgHontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid View comments Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated “I took my courage from the people who believe in me because as a rookie I can’t disappoint the ones who have faith in us,” said Ronquillo. “I saw how much my Ates want to go to the finals and that this isn’t the end of our season.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Ronquillo came off the bench in the second set for FEU and was the architect of the Lady Tamaraws’ late 6-0 run that ultimately buried the Lady Eagles.“When I first entered I still felt nervous and I really had cold hands because last year I was just watching my Ates play and now I’m here helping them,” said Ronquillo in Filipino.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“I didn’t waste my time on the court and I made sure that I can help my teammates in any way possible.”Ronquillo finished with seven points in the match and was the one serving during the Lady Tamaraws’ scoring spurt in the fifth set that gave them a 13-7 lead. Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Chief Justice Peralta on upcoming UAAP game: UP has no match against UST PLAY LIST 01:00Chief Justice Peralta on upcoming UAAP game: UP has no match against UST00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krausscenter_img FEU Lady Tamaraws. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—France Ronquillo doesn’t have the same notoriety as fellow Far Eastern University rookie Lycha Ebon in the UAAP Season 81 women’s volleyball tournament but she proved she also has a bright future ahead of her.The fourth-seeded Lady Tamaraws’ season was on the line against No. 1 Ateneo but coming through in the team’s most important game this season was Ronquillo, who held her own in a five-set stunner, 10-25, 25-23, 25-22, 12-25, 15-8, over the Lady Eagles Saturday at Mall of Asia Arena.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew LATEST STORIES She also notched a service ace for FEU’s 12-7 buffer.Ebon, who’s nursing a left knee injury, said she gave Ronquillo a simple pep talk before the game that their seniors would rely on them to deliver.“We talked to each other that we shouldn’t be afraid and just be brave because our Ates need us,” said Ebon in Filipino. “We need to help them and I’m super proud of Elize.”Ronquillo added that she couldn’t let her seniors down especially in a game that further extended their season.The Lady Tamaraws forced Ateneo to use its twice-to-beat advantage with the rubber match set for Wednesday.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Mohamed Salah carried off on a stretcher after knock to headlast_img read more