UK plans Brexit celebrations but warns businesses may suffer Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Nadal pulls out of Mexican Open as hip injury flares up MOST READ LATEST STORIES PSG’s Neymar lays on the pitch after being fouled during the French League One soccer match between Paris Saint-Germain and Marseille at the Parc des Princes Stadium, in Paris, France, Sunday, Feb. 25, 2018. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)PARIS — Neymar will undergo surgery in Brazil on his fractured foot, ruling him out of next week’s Champions League match against Real Madrid.A day after PSG coach Unai Emery denied reports the Brazil star would be operated on, PSG backpedalled and announced on Wednesday that he needs surgery.ADVERTISEMENT “After an initial treatment period of three days in line with a strict medical protocol, a joint decision has been taken between the medical staffs of both Paris Saint-Germain and the Brazil national team,” PSG said in a statement.PSG broke soccer’s transfer record last year by paying Barcelona 222 million euros ($260 million) to buy Neymar, in part with the hope that the Brazilian star would lead the club to the Champions League title. But those hopes took a massive blow when he was injured on Sunday during the French league leader’s 3-0 win over Marseille. Tests later revealed he has a cracked fifth metatarsal in his right foot along with an ankle injury.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkPSG said that “in accordance with the player, it has been decided that Neymar Jr. will undergo surgery in Brazil at the end of this week. He will be operated on by Dr. Rodrigo Lasmar, accompanied by Professor Saillant, representing PSG.”Gerard Saillant has carried out many operations on high-profile athletes, including the former Brazil striker Ronaldo. GALLERY: Barangay Ginebra back as PBA Governors’ Cup kings Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours After Emery said Neymar needed rest and had a chance to recover in time to play at the Parc des Princes against Madrid, the player’s father, Neymar Santos, had cast a doubt on his participation to the match, saying he believed his son would need surgery.Metatarsal injuries are common in soccer and can sometimes lead to a lengthy absence from the pitch. PSG did not say how long Neymar will be sidelined but his father Neymar Santos estimated that the recovery will take “between six and eight weeks.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano View comments Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Sea turtle trapped in net freed in Legazpi City Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed
The national chairman of the opposition Liberty Party, Cllr Fonati Koffa, is calling on the family of the former Chairman of the National Transitional Government of Liberia (NTGL), Charles G. Bryant, to re-consider its decision not to accept a state burial for Mr. Bryant.Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, April 24, at the Party’s District 7 office on Broad Street, the chairman explained that there are reports of Mr. Bryant’s disappointment over how the National Port Authority handled and reported its version of how a certain business’ transaction went down.According to the LP chairman, the former head of state, Mr. Charles Bryant, was one of the engineers of the democracy that every Liberian enjoys today.“There are certain choices that Mr. Charles Bryant should not make for himself, that are related to his service—especially his role in the peace process. Accordingly, the nation must accord him his due for the services he rendered the people of Liberia,” the Chairman emphasized.“Mr. Bryant was able to organize the general and presidential elections in 2005 that was free of violence in the country; we have enjoyed 10 years of peace through his leadership as former chairman of the Interim government,” he said.The chairman further explained that it is important for former heads of state to receive some opportunity in the government sector including special considerations on traveling, business arrangements, and in a number of other activities.“Former heads of state should not be running after their lodges in Liberia when wanting to travel and must make arrangement involved with the process,” he stated.According to the opposition political party chairman, there should be all necessary benefits for all former heads of state that would reflect their legacy of commitment that typified their service.He said, “We want to give the former head of the state, Mr. Bryant, whatsoever he deserves as chairman of the Interim Government of Liberia; this is why we are calling on the family to re-consider its position on Mr. Bryant’s burial.We hope that they (family members) can see reason to identify him as a statesman, who contributed to his country in many appropriate ways. The government must work with the family to ensure that he receives a befitting state-burial.”According to Cllr. Fonati Koffa, the decision by the family members of the former head of state to turn down a state-burial was troubling and disturbing, considering the nation’s own reconciliation and peace process.The chairman said “If the family does not agree to give the former head of state that burial, it means that he might not be given the treatment that a former chairman of the Interim Government of our country deserves.”In another development, Cllr Kofa also stated that it is prudent for the former president, Dr. Charles G. Taylor, to receive his benefit as a former head of state, despite having been prosecuted by the international community. “Mr. Taylor is due under the law of Liberia all benefits that a former president of Liberia deserves.”Meanwhile, the chairman disclosed that they are fully prepared for the upcoming special senatorial election, come October 14, and if a merger becomes necessary, it will be accepted by the Liberty Party.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Waterside, one of Monrovia’s crowded business districts, has been overtaken by human and animal feces (pupu) from an old leaking septic tank.Sadly, hundreds of petty traders and medium size Liberian and foreign businesses have no choice but to endure the horrible smell and unsightly “pupu water” running down the street all day during the busiest shopping season of the year.The scene of the leaking septic tank at Waterside General Market has been described by some sanitation workers as a serious health and environmental hazard.Initially, businesspeople were hesitant to come face to face with the feces-infested street, owing to the unhygienic nature and health implications.But, during a visit to Waterside yesterday, it was observed that the petty traders, street vendors and foreign merchants were ignoring the stinking odor and carrying on with business as usual. A few shoppers could be seen covering their noses.Year in and year out, the Waterside commercial district has continued to endure daunting sanitation and environmental problems due to filth and nasty water from greater Monrovia’s poorly maintained septic tanks and gutters.Many of Monrovia’s gutters are clogged and the bulk of garbage and other waste are carried to the slum communities.Residents and business owners in those affected communities are alarmed by the situation but over the years nothing has been done to address the growing sanitation crisis in spite of their endless complaints and appeals.They lament that the leaking septic tank at this time of the year when the Christmas and New Year celebrations are days away is unfortunate and unacceptable.Several vendors and store owners interviewed sounded urgent appeals to the Liberian Government and partners for swift intervention in the sanitation problem.“We are really fed up asking for the permanent repair and maintenance of this leaking septic tank in this big business place near downtown Monrovia,” street vendor Clarence B. Jallah lamented.Mr. Jallah also expressed grave concern over the unsanitary conditions business people have to operate in down Waterside.Small businesswoman Hawa B. Tengbeh, 56, called on the Liberia Water and Sewer Corporation (LWSC) to immediately deal with the situation and prevail on the septic tank owners to repair the damaged facility in order to avoid the outbreak of water and insect borne diseases.In a related development, other angry and frustrated residents called on the LWSC management to work out some concrete modalities with the septic tank owners for immediate repairs to be done.When contacted for comment, LWSC management told the Daily Observer that a solution is being worked out to remedy the grave sanitation crisis in the Waterside business district.It remains to be seen if street vendors, market women with their babies, business houses and shoppers down Waterside will get any relief from the stench and filth anytime soon. In the meantime, as they say, hold your nose and pass.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The Taylor Speedway has scheduled a weekend of make-up races for its previously cancelled Stock Challenge.The raceway’s Mini Stock Challenge, which was originally scheduled to take place on July 16 and 17, has been moved to the upcoming long weekend.- Advertisement -Races will take place on both Saturday July, 30 and Sunday July 31. Saturday’s race will begin at 3 p.m. while Sunday’s will start at 1 p.m.The original races were cancelled due to damage to the track and facility after the massive amounts of rain the Peace has received over the past month.For more information on any of the Taylor Speedway’s upcoming events, please visit its official website.
– Advertisement –
…protocols breached, 3 officers suspendedHours after 21-year-old Rameshwar Prakash of Skeldon, Corentyne, Berbice escaped from the New Amsterdam prison on Tuesday while working on the farm of the correctional institution, he was recaptured and taken into custody.Prison escapee: Rameshwar PrakashThe house which the prisoner entered and removed cash and other itemsThe New Amsterdam PrisonHe will be processed for court shortly where he is expected to be slapped with an escaped from lawful custody charge.He made good his escape at about 07:30h, but not before entering the dwelling place of a female prison officer and removing $17,000 in cash and an electronic tablet.He was convicted on a simple larceny charge and was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment. He was due to be released in June 2020.Based on reports received, the escapee along with 12 other prisoners were taken from the New Amsterdam Prison by two female officers to work at the prison farm which is situated opposite the Prison Officers’ Club.However, while working, Prakash requested to use a washroom that is on the opposite side of the road from where he was working. He reportedly scaled the fence and made his way to a prison officer’s house where he entered through a window with the aid of a ladder.It was there that he removed the items and escaped. After some time had elapsed and the prisoner did not return, an alarm was raised. After hours of search, there were no signs of the convicted thief. In light of this incident, three prison officers were relieved of their duties pending a thorough investigation.Guyana Times understands that the prisoners would normally work on the farm with little or no supervision.Meanwhile, the Guyana Prison Service said initial investigation suggests that there were breaches of Standing Orders and as a result, three officers have been relieved of their duty.
Anyone with information about the shooting is urged to call (323) 890-5500. NORWALK – A man was shot and killed early Monday morning outside a bar along Studebaker Road, sheriff’s officials said. The unidentified man was shot at about 12:40 a.m. in the 4300 block of Stubebaker, said Ed Hernandez of the Sheriff’s Department’s Headquarters Bureau. The victim was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Hernandez added. Homicide officials are investigating the incident. 165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
A WATERFORD man who has never had a driving licence was before Letterkenny District Court on road traffic charges this week.Denis Daly (33) of McGuire House, Bath Street in Waterford, was charged with drink driving, driving without insurance and driving without a licence. Sergeant Jim Collins told the court that Daly was in Donegal for the Donegal Rally when he was stopped by Gardaí on June 22, 2019. Gardaí detected a strong smell of alcohol from the car.A demand was made for Daly to produce documentation, but none were forthcoming.Solicitor for Daly, Mr Patsy Gallagher, said his client, a father-of-two who is in a long-term relationship had ‘sought solace for ongoing demons’. “His reading was 26, but his friend was a lot more and Mr Daly took the keys to drive,” Mr Gallagher said.“He was more capable at the time. He accepts the difficulties. The reading is at the lower end. He was ill-conceived on the day in question and there is no excuse.”Daly has a number of previous convictions for road traffic matters and the court heard that he never had a driving licence.Judge Paul Kelly adjourned the matter until February 3, 2020.Man who ‘never had a licence’ in court for road traffic offences was last modified: November 5th, 2019 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Denis DalyJudge Paul KellyletterkennyLetterkenny District Court
Jonathan and Joyce head off to Tenerife.Joyce Hudy and Jonathan Martin from the Swilly Seals headed off to Tenerife for a week of intense training with the Ulster Swimming Squad early on Friday morning. They will be training with the elite of Ulster twice a day in a 50 Metre outdoor pool.Joyce attends Colaiste Na Carraige in Carrick and Jonathan is a pupil at St Eunans of Letterkenny. Both qualified for this camp through the Ulster Schools Swimming Competition.Both Joyce and Jonathan train five days a week in the pool and also train in the gym working on strength and conditioning and flexibility also. Joyce makes the long journey to Letterkenny each morning with her father/coach Chris hitting the pool at 6.20 am before making the journey back in time for school. A massive well done from all at the Swilly Seals on this achievement. Both swimmers put in huge effort week in week out alongside their peers and are fine ambassadors for the club and huge role models for the young swimmers of the club.The Swilly Seals will travel to Downpatrick on 21st November to take on Lecale swimming club in round three of the Provincial Towns League. Having beat Ballymena in the opening gala and claiming the points v Lurgan who were unable to field a team to travel to Letterkenny the club will be training towards a win in Downpatrick.SWIMMING: SWILLY SEALS HEAD TO WARMER WATERS was last modified: October 26th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Swilly Seals
A WORLD CHAMPION dog trainer and Crufts winner is set to come to Co Donegal next weekend.Lupanast Dog Training/Northwest Agility & Flyball Club are promising a fantastic weekend of fun for anyone interested in agility or flyball.On the 22/23rd October from 10am – 5pm they will be hosting a weekend full of workshops for both agility and flyball which will be instructed by two top women in their field. Dawn Weaver, world Champion trainer and winner of Crufts 2010 and 2011 will be taking people through their paces for the beginners class from 10-1pm on both days and then concentrating on weaves and contacts from 2-6pm.Sarah Hursthouse, a professional competitor in Flyball for over 10 years regularly competing in British Flyball Association competitions, running 3 dogs, one at Silver level (10,000 points), one at Advanced Level (5,000 points) and a Starter dog, she also trains starter dogs and team dogs for the Carry Ons Flyball team UK. She will be conducting a workshop from 10-6pm which will give people an insight into the new sport of Flyball.By having two fantastic days of these sports means that everyone can avail of either one or both should they wish to do so.The Agility workshop which will be in two parts which can be either booked separately (€60 euro per person) or together for a discount (€100) on either 22nd or 23rd October. The Flyball workshop will be a full day from 10 – 6pm and is €100 for the day – either the 22nd or 23rd October.Refreshments will be offered but for anyone who doesn’t bring food, there will be a catering van. There will also be various organisations with samples for you and your dogs to try.Spectators can also attend for the reduced price of €30 per person.To avail of this weekend workshop, please contact Lupanast Dog Training on (00) 353 83 4079090 or email : firstname.lastname@example.orgWORLD CHAMPION DOG TRAINER COMING TO DONEGAL was last modified: October 8th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:WORLD CHAMPION DONG TRAINER COMING TO DONEGAL